18 replies to this topic

#1 cpanet

cpanet

Owner

• Administrators
  • 628 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

Posted by: bryris

Has anyone done SU12 simulation wizard (online) sim?

How long did it take you to do and what did you get the first time through?

My grade is decent, but I sucked an entire hour doing this thing with 6 tabs. On the real exam, this is just too long. I am curious about the thoughts of anyone else who has done this one.

I know most you are Becker folks. :)

AUD - 97

From CPAnet: Migration of posts made as complete as possible. Visit this link for original discussion.

#2 cpanet

cpanet

Owner

• Administrators
  • 628 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

Posted by: LeadFoot

It took me 30 minutes and I got ~86% (I usually self-grade down the middle on the comm tab). I only went through it once. You have to consider my result with the fact my specialty is individual income taxes. I can do the 1040 and Sch A by hand in my sleep.

From CPAnet: Migration of posts made as complete as possible. Visit this link for original discussion.

#3 cpanet

cpanet

Owner

• Administrators
  • 628 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

Posted by: bryris

I got the same grade, so that is good. Just took the whole hour. I've got some prep experience too but not a pro, that is for sure.

I hope the real exam doesn't involve two sims of that size.

AUD - 97

#4 cpanet

cpanet

Owner

• Administrators
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

Posted by: JLcpa

I've been using Gleim for all my CPA exams, though I had Becker as well for BEC & FAR which certainly helped. The problem with Gleim is their review material is never ending, and not really written for the lay-man. But by now I am used to their style & I use it mainly bcoz of the tons of questions in their CD.

My question is: I have no tax background & only the Gleim material for REG. I plan to start studying by Mar 1, and would ideally like to take the exam by Apr 15. I can study for 8 hrs daily.

Is this a doable option? or should I allocate more time?

Also anyone who used only Gleim, and feel it is not enough?

BEC- 26 Feb 2010- 87
REG- Nov 2010

#5 cpanet

cpanet

Owner

• Administrators
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:25 AM

Posted by: AccountingNerd8

If you study mon-fri for 8 hours a day for the month of march and two weeks in april, that is 240 hours! Um, yes, i think that is enough time.

I have been using the Gleim book just for the extra problems. But i have been studying the Wiley book, which i think is better. A lot of the stuff in gleim seems unnecessary, but i don't know. I'm taking the test friday, so i will let you know!

AUD- July 7, 2010 PASS
FAR- February 11, 2011 PASS! Last attempt before BEC expired

#6 cpanet

cpanet

Owner

• Administrators
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:37 AM

Thank Accountingnerd. Do keep me posted on your exam. and good luck!

BEC- 26 Feb 2010- 87
REG- Nov 2010

#7 cpanet

cpanet

Owner

• Administrators
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

hey accounting nerd...how was REG? any more inputs on Gleim v/s Wiley?

BEC- 26 Feb 2010- 87
REG- Nov 2010

#8 cpanet

cpanet

Owner

• Administrators
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

Posted by: AccountingNerd8

Well, I'm almost certain I didn't pass, but the questions themselves weren't too hard. It was just a lot of stuff I didn't focus on. And i knew going into the exam what my weak areas were, but I just didn't have enough time to study them. I wanted to reschedule, but my Notice to Schedule expired this month, so i had to take it anyway.

I spent many many many hours studying Individual Income Tax, but the few questions on the exam were very basic. I should have spent a lot more time on property transactions, and a lot less time on business law.

I think the Wiley books are great, but if you insist on using Gleim then i would recommend that you focus on the topics that relate to the questions they ask for each study unit. Because sometimes Gleim gives way too much information. You've got to look at the big picture.

I was feeling awful by the time i got to the simulations. And once I read the simulation I knew there was no hope for me. I attempted them, but I wasn't sure about what I was doing on both of them. One of the written communications was very simple, and the other one was very complicated. I got creative and made some stuff up. :) I hope they only grade the easy one.

I guess I will find out my score in 3 weeks, but in the meantime I plan to take it again at the end of April. I know what i need to focus on now, so I'm positive that I can pass it next time around.

AUD- July 7, 2010 PASS
FAR- February 11, 2011 PASS! Last attempt before BEC expired

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CPA Review, Gleim CPA, REG