Archive Link - Frustrated, Losing Motivation/Hope and/or Freaking Out
http://www.cpanet.co...pics.asp?FID=80

#2 marzipan_cpa

marzipan_cpa

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I just wanted to write a quick note to those who may be discouraged in their study process.
Last year, I lost credit for BEC and failed my retake by 3 points. It hit me hard because BEC is one of my favorite topics. This week, I am starting in on a new and more focused study approach, but not without challenges.

With reflection, I had a realization that I retain info best when forced to synthesize lots of data into a consice outline. All along, I've been trying to glean tools to solve problems from outlines and condensed study guides, confusing "familiarity" with theory with "understanding" needed to efficiently solve problems. Just knowing where to find the answers doesn't cut it on this exam.

Even as I cringe at the lengh of Wiley's IT chapter, the step by step process has given me confidence again that it's not too late to succeed on this exam.

Wishing you all success in 2013!

www.rogercpareview.com

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

#3 smalltimeauditor

smalltimeauditor

Advanced Member

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I think you make an excellent point. Each person is unqiue regarding how they most efficiently retain information. A lot of folks at my firm used Becker and were successful doing so. For me, watching Gearty and highlighting the entire book didn't do much good for me. Roger CPA Review condenses his notes better than the Becker book does and his lectures are infinitely more entertaining/useful than that of Becker. So that's what's worked for me.

On another note, it's very easy to lose motivation taking this test. But once you're done, it is a designation that will always be respected and open many doors for you in your career.

www.rogercpareview.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: archive