2 replies to this topic

#1 KevinM3u

KevinM3u

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hey all,

I will be graduating with my MSA degree from a public university in may 2013. i am interested in tax accounting.

This past october, i attended the accounting career fair for both my undergrad school, and my graduate school.

I had on campus interviews with 3/4 big four firms, as well as three middle market firms here in michigan, but got no luck out of these oppurtunities.

I actually think i may have shot myself in the foot, as I was following a good friend's advice (he does recruiting for E&Y) and was looking for an internship, because I was told I was non-hireable without one. With my graduation date so near, I think I may have been better off looking for an actual FT job upon graduation...

I am confident in my interview skills, as I have probably been in ~15 professional interviews since I graduated with my bachelor's in 2010. during my interview with PWC, a person came in to the room after our 30min alloted time to tell my interviewer to wrap it up and the interviewer just shooed him away and we talked for another 15 minutes or so. I left the interview feeling like a million bucks, and though they turned me down, it was done via phone call and i was told it was mostly because they were looking for someone earlier in their degree program to intern.
- - -
To wrap it up, I'm worried that i will graduate in may and not be able to even interview for accounting firms until next fall for a new recruiting cycle. In this case, I will work on the CPA tests over the summer, but I will be in a very tight financial crunch as I am currently a waiter, and my loans will start coming due when i graduate. It will be a long, stressful, financially difficult summer, and even if i get a job offer in aug, I might not start untl January.

I'm wondering if there is an alternative to this scenario, i.e. do firms hire during the summer? How would I get an interview? (dropping a resume at their website is not likely to get me face time with anyone)

as an aside, I have no accounting experience other than class. I have worked mostly in the restaraunt industry, as well as an inside sales rep for a cell phone company for 6months. I'm quite worried about finding a FT job with such a meager background.

Thank you for any advice!

#2 Unorganized CPA

Unorganized CPA

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Unfortunately, all I can say is join the club. I am also trying to get back into tax and am struggling with similar lack of experience issues. And I'm a fully licenced CPA with three tax seasons of experience under my belt. Of course, I face the additional challenge of trying to explain why I was fired from my last job.

#3 Staff Acct Making Only 38k

Staff Acct Making Only 38k

Advanced Member

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

Reason #6545616 why the CPA license is useless.
"He's a CPA, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: career, job, tax, graduate, emploment