5 replies to this topic

#1 DavidMB13

DavidMB13

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I've been looking over some of the information on the site and I wanted to present my specific situation. I see some pretty knowledgeable folks around here and I think you could all be a great help. I'm 27 years old and I recently graduated from a city school with an accounting degree. I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a 3.86. This is actually my second degree. My first degree I earned in 2009 in Political Science. I also graduated Magna Cum Laude with a 3.83 at that time. After graduating the first time I went and worked at a bankruptcy law firm for about a year. The original plan was to go to law school but I decided against it.

Anyway, I'm currently in the masters program for accounting at the same school but I have one major problem. I've been getting some poor advice from family (although I take full responsibility) which was basically to wait until graduation to start the job search. This means that I have missed all the on campus internship/recruiting opportunities while I was in undergrad. My goal from day one of going back to school for accounting was to get into the Big 4. I suddenly feel like I have missed my opportunity as I have missed the career fairs. My question to the community is what can I do now? I know I have the grades, I worked so hard for so long. I have sent my resume through e-mail to many public accounting firms but I haven't heard back from any of them and I have been told continuously that recruiting only occurs on campus for entry level/internship positions.

What can I do to call attention to myself? I'm not sure what to do now as I just started really getting out there and sending out my resume. Is there any advice you can offer me? My previous work experience is limited to legal work, including a summer internship and about a year and a half of working as a bankruptcy paralegal. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

#2 Virgil-redux

Virgil-redux

Advanced Member

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

Send me a private message with your resume (I don't mind if you take out personal info). You seem like a qualified candidate, so it's unfortunate your family gave you such horrendous advice.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much I can help, but I can definitely take a look at your resume. Who knows, you might have a shot at getting a position right out of college. I work for a big 4, and I have access to internal job postings.

The sooner we start the better.
  • DavidMB13 likes this

#3 LatinDancer

LatinDancer

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

"I have sent my resume through e-mail to many public accounting firms but I haven't heard back from any of them and I have been told continuously that recruiting only occurs on campus for entry level/internship positions."

False.  Don't go the email route; make an investment in sending out resumes via snail mail and be sure to attach a cover letter that you can hand sign.  If you send your resume to every office in the US for, say Deloitte for example, at least one is going to respond and you may even get an office interview out of the deal.  I did.

If you're still in college though, take advantage of the resources available to you and don't pass anything up.  If you have a BAP chapter, that will definitely work to your advantage because you get to meet Big 4 employees personally at networking events.  Big 4 firms and especially 2nd Tier firms like GT, Crowe Horwath, and McGladrey will evaluate you based on how well they feel you can relate to their clients, especially when you're working in a smaller office.  

• DavidMB13 likes this

#4 BeckyS

BeckyS

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am having the same problems as DAVIDMB13. I recently graduated from school with a master's degree in accounting. My major was marketing and all related working experience is markerting. I barely have any accounting experience. I have been sending out my resume online for over a month now. No one really replied. I missed the opportunity to find an intern or entry level when i was on campus. My goal is to start with a small size public accounting firm. Even that ,it is still hard to get any response. Can anyone give me some advices? Thank you.

#5 BeckyS

BeckyS

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:47 AM

Hi Virgil, Is it Ok for me to send out my resume to you as well, may be you can give me some advice?? Thank you.

Becky

Send me a private message with your resume (I don't mind if you take out personal info). You seem like a qualified candidate, so it's unfortunate your family gave you such horrendous advice.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much I can help, but I can definitely take a look at your resume. Who knows, you might have a shot at getting a position right out of college. I work for a big 4, and I have access to internal job postings.

The sooner we start the better.

#6 Virgil-redux

Virgil-redux

Advanced Member

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Yah sure. PM me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: career, hiring, hire, new