2 replies to this topic

#1 cpanet

cpanet

Owner

• Administrators
  • 625 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

From Tana's CPA Exam Journey...

I had to have some time to refocus and regroup my life. I did not pass REG and it crushed me. I did the suggested studying. Scored high on the homework and thought I down when I walked in the test center, but as my last blog shows, I didn't know how I did after the test. When the results came out, I was devastated. I didn't even make a 70, what was up with that.
So, on the advise of my husband, I took a break to evaluate what was going on, and how I can pass and become a CPA.
What did I do with this time. Other than spend quality time with my child, I was able to determine my shortcomings in my study habits and came up with some possible solutions.
1. Distractions - studying at home does not work so well when you get distracted by the phone, a messy house and dirty laundry doesn't help. (Turn off the house phones and screen cell phone, clean at night when family is home and turn over the laundry to my husband.)
2. Text/Games - I started playing words with friends when I was studying last year, and spend one whole day pausing my lecture to play. (really bad move on my part). I was having a hard time concentrating and thought the release of playing that game would help. I was wrong. (I will not play games or text with friends during study hours)
3. Family/Friend emergencies - I had a friend that needed support during a crisis, and I needed to be there for her. As well as a Family member that had issues as well. These issues distracted me not only from studying but kept in my mind during my studies. This was a big issue for me. (Schedule at least 2 extra days for catch-up for when the unexpected comes up.)
4. Concentration - I touched on this above, but I was not able to concentrate on the lectures due to personal issues happening to those I care about. I have not had this issue before, as Roger CPA Review is so entertaining and normally keeps me focused. (I haven't figured out how to overcome this.)
5. Restlessness during lectures - I was not able to sit still during the some of the lectures. Goes back a little to #4 as well. (Exercise. I have not given exercise a priority. I will schedule exercise into my life. This will not be during study time, but will add it to family time.)

If anyone has any ideas to help me as well, I would appreciate any input. I believe I have good starting blocks, but additional advice would be appreciated.

View the full article

#2 Haru71380

Haru71380

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

Hi I know what you mean. When I first started on my path on becoming a CPA it was 2003. buring that time i was recently out if college and single ( no real life problems) and I was able to pass 3 parts with out any problem. Then after a few months came the problem. I started to work at Deloitte and I never got a chance to pass my last part and then I lost all my parts. After that happen I taught it would not be as hard to study for the exams again since I had done it once before but I was wrong. I think as time went on my work became a priority and going out as well. So I stopped making this my Priority which was a big mistake. Now I look back and realize how I wasted so much time and focus on things that really were not that important.
So now i have decided that this yr, will be the year that I finally become a CPA. I know life, work, friends and kids will interfere with me trying to study for the exam but I really have to stop making excuses and get this over and done with.
But thanks for your post because I now know that I am not the only person that feels this way. You post has helped me stay motivated and continue studying
  • Score Release likes this

#3 Ash1987

Ash1987

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

I feel where you guys are coming from.  I  final passed REG using Roger's CPA exam review (www.rogercpaexam.com) .  At first, I was getting failing grades and didn't understand why when I used other review courses.  I was studying and that's all I thought...if I studied, I passed.  But its not just mere studying, its the quality of your studying.  Ask yourself some simple questions.  Are you retaining the information?  Are you struggling through the MCQs? What are your weaknesses? Are you putting adequate time into studying?  Once you have answers to those questions, you can adjust your studying accordingly.