3 replies to this topic

#1 raaj

raaj

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

Hi

I have done my 4 years of bachelors of economics and majored in accounting from Canada. I am pursuing my CMA certification in canada.

Finally i m going to move to Califronia USA. here is my question

• Does CMA is recognised in USA. Will i get better job opportunites as I have completed my CMA certification
  • Does CMA certification makes it easier for me to do CPA certification in america
  • As I am a accoiunting major do I have to do any course work before appearing in the CPA certification or can I just complete the certification exam
  • Whats the process to get the CPA certification

Please provide me with any feedback you have

Thanks

#2 Virgil-redux

Virgil-redux

Advanced Member

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

Does CMA is recognised in USA. Will i get better job opportunites as I have completed my CMA certification

Are you talking about the Certified Management Accountant designation?

As I am a accoiunting major do I have to do any course work before appearing in the CPA certification or can I just complete the certification exam

Depends if your state board accepts all your credits as valid, or if you're missing any. Check with the CA state board of accountancy.

Whats the process to get the CPA certification

1. Get required education
2. Pass all CPA exams
3. Get required experience

See CA state board for more info

Does CMA certification makes it easier for me to do CPA certification in america

It will definitely help with the BEC portion of the exam. Not much else I think.

#3 raaj

raaj

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

Yes I am talking about Certified Management Accountant in Canada

Does CMA has a value in USA. Will I get good job oportunities by doing CMA

#4 Virgil-redux

Virgil-redux

Advanced Member

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

There's some value yes. I'm not as knowledgeable about it as others, so I can't say how much it will help exactly.

At this point in your career it's a signalling device that helps firms see you as a bit more qualified/polished than someone without it. Like any certification, however, it is not a silver bullet and guarantees nothing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cpa, cma, certification, career, canada, usa, courses, accounting, major