Photo

Why procrastination is bad and how to defeat it!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cpanet

cpanet

Owner

• Administrators
  • 628 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:35 AM

Lets face it.  A lot of us are procrastinators and like to do things in the very end.  Although it worked for a lot of us in school and maybe even college, the CPA exam is a totally different beast in this regards.  Procrastination is just a terrible thing to do with regards to all 4 sections of the CPA exam.  I just want to emphasize a few points as to why it's bad and solutions on how to defeat it.

Why it's bad:

1. It encourages a lazy lifestyle.

A lot of us do indeed have lives.  But we have to find a good balance between finishing and accomplishing work and enjoying life.  I know it's difficult to enjoy life when you have to study for exams, but putting things off until later would just encourages laziness.  You need goals and tasks when you study.  If you try to cram everything in the last few days, it probably won't work out too well.  Studying for a few hours everyday for a month is much better than cramming everything the last week.

2. It brings a lot more stress in your life.

If you wait until the last week or few days to do most of your studying, it's just going to stress you out and burn you out.  Some people can pass exams by doing this, but it takes a lot of energy out of you and you'll basically feel like crap.  I've done this in college so many times.. trust me, it's not fun putting off papers and projects until the last night.  You basically have to ignore everyone and everything to finish and accomplish your goal instead of having a set schedule and taking it bit by bit.  

3. It's not really something employers want to see from a prospective employee

A lot of us are just beginning our careers.  Although some people procrastinate a little, a lot of employers want to see more commitment from you as an individual.  Defeating procrastination will definitely show a valuable attribute.  And what better way to do it than to defeat it while studying for the CPA exam?  

How to defeat it:

It's not easy to beat procrastination.  I've actually had a very tough time doing so.  But one thing that has REALLY helped me is sticking to a schedule.  One thing I like about the Auditing section I have from Roger is the fact that there are planners and schedules that appeal to your needs.  For instance, if you want to finish the CPA exam in 6 months, there is a set schedule that they recommend you follow.  I've been closely following it and have had success.  It definitely takes a lot of commitment, but it really pays off in the end.  You should have some type of goal while studying everyday and not resort to procrastination.  Identify your "time wasters" and try to eliminate them.  Whether it be watching too much TV, browsing the internet too much, misplacing items easily.  Again, it's definitely not an easy task to defeat it.  But it's worth it in order to pass your exams and go further along with your career.  Thanks for reading!

- Bryan

View the full article

#2 paragon

paragon

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

Ask yourself Do you have a choice? Then stick ur butt down and study. Easy. Goodluck