1 reply to this topic

#1 dale407

dale407

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Hello everyone, 

this will be my first post your input will be appreciated.

Well, I am in the midst of deciding whether to go back doing book keeping type jobs for around $13-15 an hour in Cincinnati, Ohio or stick with my current job for a little while then pass the CPA exam and go into public accounting. I enjoyed the bookkeeping jobs I've had in the past but I also think I would like public accounting as well.

I graduated in Dec of 2009 from a large state school in the University of Central Florida my GPA was a tad below 3.0,

In the midst of the recession and low gpa I could not get into the big 4.  Being in Florida with the high unemployment at the time I decided  to pursue an opportunity to live in Alaska. 

In Alaska, I was able to get my foot in the door with a large regional bank as a general ledger accounting clerk. I mainly worked on reconciliations and cash balancing. A little over a year I decided to pursue an opportunity with a large native corporation as a admin assistant/ accountant. I  was basically the front line in the financial reporting process for my unit. It was more of an operational role that involved food service for a hospital. Making deposits, keeping the safe and cashiers cash inline, preparing A/R invoices and processing A/P invoices,payroll and also doing some HR functions.

Well being in Alaska, away from my family for some years, I decided to move to Cincinnati, Ohio. 

I eventually got a job auditing claims for promotions on consumer product goods, This is not like real auditing financial statements or anything like that. It is just basically ensuring that the information that is correct and the retailers are not trying to scam the promotion.

Which happens on a daily basis by the way. So it is somewhat like auditing i guess. I am making minimal money at this job less than 25,000 a year.

My question is that, should I stay at this job longer which would put me around 2 years by the time I finish the CPA exam and look for a job in public accounting or after a year which would be in 6 months look for an accounting/bookkeeping position to further build my resume in those type of roles?

Again your input would be very helpful as most people I know do not have any knowledge of the accounting industry.

Thank You

#2 Virgil-redux

Virgil-redux

Advanced Member

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

Honestly, neither job sounds desirable.

Why not look for openings in small CPA firms or an accounting role,in a company? Passing the CPA exam will at least give you better chances.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: career, jobs