I am in a sticky situation with two job offers.
December 2012 - I accepted a full-time offer with the 7th accounting firm, since I didn't have any other full-time offers at that moment. At the same time, I accepted a summer internship with the 6th accounting firm.
September 2013 - Now after the summer internship, I have an unsigned full-time offer at the 6th accounting firm and a signed offer at the 7th accounting firm.
I have a very hard decision to make...
- Stick with 7th and turn down 6th
- Renege on 6th and sign with 7th
I know if I had both offers at the same time, I would hands down choose 6th over 7th.
There are pros and cons to both offers.
If I choose 6th -- Focuses in the industry that I want to be in, Higher compensation but start later in the year, Have a few months off to study for the CPA but might be too much time, More prestigious firm, More structured career path, International opportunities
If I choose 7th -- Work in various industries and various service lines, Lower compensation but start earlier in the year, No time off to study for the CPA, Less prestigious firm, Seems like people get stuck at a certain title for a long time, A national firm
In the meantime, I have been thinking about sticking with 7th and kindly turning down 6th because of the earlier start date. Hopefully, I would maintain a positive relationship with 6th and in the future if I wanted to join 6th, it would be an easier process. There is a part of me where I feel like I am sabotaging my career if I choose 7th because I am starting at a less renowned firm and wasting years of experience there. Another pro to starting at 7th is that I would receive a midyear minor bonus, and if I choose 6th, I wouldn't have even started working yet.
Please feel free to give your advice.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have been extremely stressed about the situation. Let me know if you are confused about anything.