Photo
- - - - -

In 30s; Changing Career; Starting Family; Do I Work For Big 4?

CPA Big 4 macc wife children

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DWJ08

DWJ08

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

About Me:
I have a BA in Music, will finish a MAcc program in the Fall, will be eligible to take the CPA exam upon graduation, I am 36, and I am married. At our age, my wife and I are having discussions about having children as soon as possible after I pass the CPA exams.

My Question(s):
1) How does one prepare for the CPA exam with the job demands that come from a Big 4 firm? 2) Since my immediate priority is getting my CPA license as soon as possible, would it be best to consider other firms? 3) Is it even possible to be a good husband to a pregnant wife when working at a Big 4 firm, or any public accountant firm, during busy season?

#2 Dred

Dred

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:14 AM

I will say this if you do not know it already. If your wife is 35 or older, having kids should be the #1 priority. Really if she is 30 or older and wants kids then do not wait. The odds of getting pregnant after 35 are very small, even after 30 the odds falls pretty dramatically. I see too many women thinking they can wait to have kids then are not able to have them because they are too old. Just search the statistics on this. If your wife is in her 20's, well then you can wait.

What I notice with relationships is that more time away from your partner is a good thing for the relationship, so do not worry about being away too much.

With passing the CPA exam and working that really depends on how intelligent you are. When I worked for a mid-size CPA firm almost nobody was able to pass even one part of the exam while working and the firm was not even that busy. I noticed that the new hires for the last few years had almost nobody passing. Pretty unbelievable if you ask me, but none of these people were obviously able to get big 4 accounting job, although one may have but choose not to.

I passed my CPA exam because I did it full time while not working, not sure if I would be able to do both CPA exam and work as it would be too overwhelming for me.

These are just my thoughts... hope to hear others.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CPA, Big 4, macc, wife, children