Jump to content

- - - - -

The Difference Between the CPA REG Section and the Enrolled Agent Exam

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rpajela7



  • CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

What is the major difference between the CPA REG Taxation section and the Enrolled Agent exam?  I just bought the Gleim 2014 EA material and I believe that the EA exam goes a lot more into tax law than the CPA exam.  I think that the CPA exam is not as extensive on tax law like looking for what is excluded, deductible, etc. but just tests you on tax procedure like looking at math formulas in taxation.  The EA exam is extensive in both tax law and procedure.  I just want to get more feedback on this.  Thanks.

#2 Kundan Lal Rana

Kundan Lal Rana


  • CPAnet Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:40 AM

Both are different. A CPA has a wider role than EA. CPAs should have a vast knowledge of accounting, business law, personal finance, auditing and taxes. On the other hand, an EA has a deep knowledge about taxes, inheritance tax, gift tax, estate, payroll, retirement, and non-profit taxation etc.

Working with Ace Cloud Hosting as a Finance and Accounting Consultant. I love to explore the world of technology to make sure best uses of applied science based practices.