Photo
- - - - -

Career change: nursing to accounting

career change accounting nursing miserable help registered nurse advice FML unhappy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#9 fugitive RN

fugitive RN

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

Wow Virgil thank you so much for your informative response. I haven't been able to find such a revealing source of information in all my research so far. It is much appreciated.

I have a lot of thinking to do, specifically what exactly it is about my current job do I find so unbearable.

Seems like public accounting is the best way to get into the decent-paying jobs. There also seems to be a huge emphasis on Big 4 Audit experience which is apparently difficult to get, and even then it consists of several years of grueling hours and huge stress. One of the main reasons I can't stand nursing is because of 12 hour night shift, weekends, and holidays - but if I'm working 60-70 hours a week for less pay as a public accountant is my life really that much better? I'm not sure.. it doesn't seem very introvert-friendly either.

A perfect job would be 9-5, no weekdays, no holidays, tolerable stress, and good pay ($60-70k isn't too much to ask is it?). Perhaps I will explore some other options.

Thanks again for your wonderful response though.

#10 Virgil-redux

Virgil-redux

Advanced Member

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:05 AM

"Seems like public accounting is the best way to get into the decent-paying jobs. There also seems to be a huge emphasis on Big 4 Audit experience which is apparently difficult to get, and even then it consists of several years of grueling hours and huge stress. "

I'd say that public is definitely a great way to reduce risk in your career. In other words, it greatly increases the chances that you'll have flexibilty in what you want to do with your career.

But it's not the only way. In addition, not all public accounting firms are created equal. Some of the smaller ones might not have the same resources and great clients of Big 4, but that also means that the hours and stress might be less. Key word here is "might".

Also, public can be deceiving in that one thinks that it's an introvert's nightmare. There is a bit of that, but I'd say the majority of introvert-stress (personally speaking of course) comes from networking events and other such things. Usually, there's a room where all of us are in. Most of our time is spent working, since our deadlines are tight. Socializing tends to happen during mealtimes and breaks when we're all basically numb from working after 4-5 hours. Hell, half the time I just have my headphones in.

"I have a lot of thinking to do, specifically what exactly it is about my current job do I find so unbearable"

Yeah, that might be a better investment of your time right now.

"A perfect job would be 9-5, no weekdays, no holidays, tolerable stress, and good pay ($60-70k isn't too much to ask is it?). Perhaps I will explore some other options."

I'm guessing you meant no weekends? :P

And $60-70 is pretty attainable. Just not right out of college. Personally, your best bet might to do a year or two in non-Big 4 audit, and leave to make 65-75k, 40 hr work weeks, low stress, and good benefits. It might be an easier transition if you find there's a need in accounting for healthcare knowledge. For example, take this job:

http://www.houstonme...m-finc-analyst/

Although they say three to five years is preferred, two years in a public accounting firm with healthcare clients and the CPA is probably more than enough. And the pay is probably 65-75k, with your past medical experience being a plus. It tells them you understand the operations from an operational viewpoint as well as an accounting viewpoint. At the very least, knowing that makes you easier to train.

Here's another position:

https://jobs-kelsey....sRedirect=false

Again, they mention Finance, but audit is a great place to jump to these Financial Analyst positions.

Just a thought.

#11 fugitive RN

fugitive RN

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

Great input Virgil. Working with my headphones in? That would be a great pleasure. That and 30 minutes to eat. And yes I did mean no weekends :P there seems to be rumblings of a pending exodus of nurses from my current unit and I'm thinking about getting out before it gets real bad around here. My current goal is to finish paying the loans from my BSN, maybe move to a different area in the nursing profession (probably ICU), and start saving for this Accounting MS program I'm looking at. If, by chance, the ICU clicks for me, I'll probably move on to CRNA school. If not, I'll leave nursing. Those bastards in the business section of my hospital are always making cuts that affect we nurses negatively, I'd love to audit the pricks and catch them in some shady accounting practice.

#12 Virgil-redux

Virgil-redux

Advanced Member

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

Happy trails.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: career change, accounting, nursing, miserable, help, registered nurse, advice, FML, unhappy