No replies to this topic

#1 Yaeger CPA

Yaeger CPA

CPA Review Provider

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

Hear from one of our student bloggers about FAR!

It has been a week since I walked-out of Prometrics test center and rumor has it that CPA exam score for will be released today for NASBA states and tomorrow for independent states (aka Non-NASBA) states.  I have been cool as a cucumber all week long and all of sudden, I am FREAKING OUT!!!  

Recall that I finished my FARE exam  with 57 secs remaning on the countdown clock. At the time I thought that I did all I can.. so there is no point to lingering around.  But now that the reality of my score is about to be released, I am regreting not to utilizing that extra 57 secs.  It doesn't help when I am reading live post on internet as the folks at some of the NASBA states who get their scores released earlier.  I am reading posts by people who did the same thing as I did, thaa is by finishing the FARE exam with time to spare, who are now reporting scores of 72~74 (not passing!). 

All week long I've been walking around feeling good about the exam and perhaps getting cocky and now... with the result pending anytime now, I am humbled and I am shaking..   Flash back to the exam and now having doubt on some of the questions I second guessed myself.  This emotion roller coster goes on for the entire Friday...   and needless to say, it was an unproductive day professionally and personally. I think I drank myself to sleep on Friday night as I can't really remember when and how I fell asleep.  Next thing I know, I woke up at 6:00 AM. With my vision blurred I reached for my laptop an begun the repetitive drill again...  hit refresh on the Board of Accountancy website to see if the my score was released.

Long and behold...  through my blurred vision, I see these frightful letters "... Advisory Score RECEIVED..!!"  Oh my God!!  Oh my God!!  I am freking out..  as I can't see the score digits thru my blurred vision.   I dropped my laptop and head for the sink to wash my face and clear my vision.  While my knee buckles under me as I can't stop thinking ..  What would I do if I didn't pass??  What's the game plan??  Cram immediately and retake the FARE exam on the first available day when July window opens??  No!!  I can't!!  I CAN'T!!  I can not go thru this FARE exam torturer. It was horrindous!! The FARE exam was sooo much harder the the REG exam I passed 6 months ago... I just CAN'T!!

To my surprised now, with my eyes cleaned and my glasses on,  I saw clearly,  the passing score on the computer this time...  once again my knee buckled and I fell on the floor and started to sob like my little girl...  Oh my Gosh!!!!  I PASSED!! I PASSED!! I went into the Dragon's lair and Slayed the Dragon!!  WoooHooo!!! I couldn't help it emotionally as tears of bitterness of the last 4 months preparing for FARE and tears of Joys just ganged up on me. Now, I will never admit that I had shed tears for a lousy exam..  I will say this...  the FARE exam I had was the hardest exam I have ever encountered in my life and a HUGE thanks to Cindy, Phill and Gary as well as the rest of the Yeager CPA Review Team.   You guys are".. the Ambassador of Quan..  and I dig that about you!!.." I owe you guys BIG, as I never EVER want to take that FARE exam again!!  E-V-E-R!!

Now that I have a few moments to review my exam, looking at the scoring details type and all of sudden I frooze.  Recall that I thought I did well on the MCQ section and was just trying to score some partial credit on the SIMs.  At least that was my strategy and I thought it worked as I passed the FARE exam. Well..(sigh).  according to the Scoring Detail. 60% of the exam is MCQ and I scored "WEAKER"  Now if you think about it..  If my scored was weaker on 60% of the exam, that means to over come the weakness.. one would have to score exceptionally high in the 40% of the score in order to pass.  Translation: Obtaining some partial credit in the SIM would not have worked for me, to pass. No no!!   To pass I needed to KICK Butt!  Conclusion: Don't give up on the SIM section no matter how bad or how clueless you are after reading the questions, Recall that I didn't give up (but I wanted to) but work out the problem as best as you can as taught by Cindy, Phil and Gary. Also recall that after the initial shock of reading the Sim problems, I think my subconscious took over. I was merely looking for the "Partial Credit God" to smile on me, but instead, the "Partial Credit God" not only smiled on me, s/he gave me a pat on the back and said "Move onto the next section and don't ever come back here again!!"  

I can't tell you what a relief and a confidence builder that was to now pass the 2 of the most difficult sections to me. I can (almost) see the light at the end of the tunnel and am on track to be a CPA later this year. Now I gotta get back and attack the AUD section and dream about getting my life back later this year.

Cheers!!

Bee

Yaeger CPA Review student blogger

original post location