3 replies to this topic

#1 helo

helo

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hi guys

I'm considering a career with the big 4 and have prior work experience from the industry (advisory side of the business).

I won't be working in the accounting/taxation side but the advisory/consulting side of the big 4. I'm likely aiming for the senior associate role and if i were to be hired at the level, how soon and would I, infact, be able to rise up to the manager level? I hear people say that big 4s are designed for people to leave at senior associate level? is that true?

Also, since I'm not an accountant (CPA holder) and don't intend to be one or work in the accounting side of the business, is the promotion dependent on any industry certifications? e.g. FRM, PRM, etc?

I'd appreciate some insights.

Thank You.

#2 Virgil-redux

Virgil-redux

Advanced Member

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

Advisory/consulting is a catch-all for anything client serving that is not tax or audit. What exactly are you doing?

#3 helo

helo

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

Thanks Virgil-redux, I will be focusing on financial risk management - market and/or credit risk/liquidity risk.

#4 Virgil-redux

Virgil-redux

Advanced Member

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

Sorry, out of my realm of experience. Typically though, in Big 4 advisory you do tend to stay in a Senior role a bit. But same with assurance (3 years).

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: big 4, certifications