• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vahb

vahb

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

i passed all sections of CPA exam. I studied from Roger CPA review which was instrumental in my passing all exams in first attempt. i started studying from beckers but did not like it and hence switched to roger. I decided to stick with roger for all sections because roger himself teaches all sections which takes away the hassle of adopting to new instructors. Furthermore roger teached concepts rather than make you memorize or highlight the material. I now plan on pursuing CMA. Let me know if I can be of any help in your CPA prep process
  • mohamed.osman likes this
www.rogerCPAreview.com

#2 mohamed.osman

mohamed.osman

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

firstly congratulations ,am from egypt and i am studying far & aud and i want to take the exam at may 2013 ,currently i am attending course and study with wiely material and i will finish aud course at jan and far at march , i need to make study plan from now and what best way for study cpa ? what is your opinion about wiely material ?

#3 vahb

vahb

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

I studied from roger cpa review and roger provides wiley as a supplement for doing MCQ's and SIMS. I did not study Wiley text because I thought roger's lectures, text and practice questions were good enough to prepare yourself to start practicing wiley MCQ's. However I do not think I would have performed well if I hit Wiley MCQ's without listening to roger lectures and reviewing roger's text.
www.rogerCPAreview.com

#4 gven

gven

• CPAnet Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Congrats - I just did the same, and it took a variety.
I strongly disliked the Wiley MCQ's for the navigation, data retention, etc. I thought the Wiley book was great for MC's, and had plenty of questions to be ready for BEC.

Becker was my main source. I had to retake REG and I used Gleim which went way deep with MCQ's, but in the end the problem sets from the gleim book that I did on the day of the exam ended up teaching me some key lessons.

In other words, even as you drill on MCQ's, take the time to do some hand-written word problems that resemble the TBS's (REG and FAR specifically). AUD is a glorious memorization exercise.
FAR 86 (8/16/11 Becker)
AUD 93 (11/19/11 Becker)
REG 89 (7/2/12 Gleim), 71 (2/27/12 Becker)
BEC 90 (11/1/12 Becker + Wiley book)

#5 Ag12thman

Ag12thman

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Can I ask you how many hours you put in when you studied for each section? I recently took BEC after studying with a used (2011) version of Becker. I haven't received my score yet, but I really do not feel as though I passed. I really didn't like Becker too well either. I'm going to have to purchase new materials (since 2011 is getting to be too old) and was thinking abour Roger or Yaeger. Does anyone have any thoughts and/or recommendations?

#6 Venti

Venti

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Can I ask you how many hours you put in when you studied for each section? I recently took BEC after studying with a used (2011) version of Becker. I haven't received my score yet, but I really do not feel as though I passed. I really didn't like Becker too well either. I'm going to have to purchase new materials (since 2011 is getting to be too old) and was thinking abour Roger or Yaeger. Does anyone have any thoughts and/or recommendations?

I didn't like Becker either and decided to go with Yaeger. I passed all four sections on the first attempt, and took them all in the second half of this year.

I would say that after a couple of the exams, I wasn't too confident that I passed, but I did, and with scores in the 80s.

I liked the Yaeger course's "old school" and slower paced style of teaching. I didn't like how Becker went about going through their text, and I felt that Roger was too fast paced for me. I also liked that Yaeger uses the Wiley texts as their primary texts, and provides concise supplementary notes to fill in the rest. It's not perfect- I was not a fan of one of the instructors- but overall the course showed me what to focus on and what to skip over.
  • Ag12thman likes this
Passed all four sections of the CPA exam in five months during 2012.

#7 Ag12thman

Ag12thman

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

I didn't like Becker either and decided to go with Yaeger. I passed all four sections on the first attempt, and took them all in the second half of this year.

I would say that after a couple of the exams, I wasn't too confident that I passed, but I did, and with scores in the 80s.

I liked the Yaeger course's "old school" and slower paced style of teaching. I didn't like how Becker went about going through their text, and I felt that Roger was too fast paced for me. I also liked that Yaeger uses the Wiley texts as their primary texts, and provides concise supplementary notes to fill in the rest. It's not perfect- I was not a fan of one of the instructors- but overall the course showed me what to focus on and what to skip over.

Thanks very much for the information and for giving me your thoughts on Becker versus Yaeger. I guess my issue is I'm not really a fan of how Becker goes through their material either ("highlight this, underline that, circle that word"...all for nothing it seemed since I never really read back over any of what they told me to underline, highlight, and/or circle). However, I do not want to spend 2 months studying for each section of the exam, either. Is it possible to get through all the material pretty quickly with Yaeger? I know they teach you "why" much more than Becker does, but I want to get this done and not drag it out for a whole year plus.

Can you please explain what the study process/routine was with Yaeger? For example, did you typically read the text, watch the lectures, and then work the problems? Was there a final overall review of all the lectures and/or book material before the exam dates?

Thanks in advance for your help!

#8 Venti

Venti

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Thanks very much for the information and for giving me your thoughts on Becker versus Yaeger. I guess my issue is I'm not really a fan of how Becker goes through their material either ("highlight this, underline that, circle that word"...all for nothing it seemed since I never really read back over any of what they told me to underline, highlight, and/or circle). However, I do not want to spend 2 months studying for each section of the exam, either. Is it possible to get through all the material pretty quickly with Yaeger? I know they teach you "why" much more than Becker does, but I want to get this done and not drag it out for a whole year plus.

Can you please explain what the study process/routine was with Yaeger? For example, did you typically read the text, watch the lectures, and then work the problems? Was there a final overall review of all the lectures and/or book material before the exam dates?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Here's how I studied:

I watched the lectures so I would know what to focus on and what to skip. They go through the text, and work dozens of problems and simulations on a whiteboard during the lectures. Of course, there are times that they are reading from the text, but with certain topics that can't really be avoided. They also suggest other MCQs and simulations for you to do.

I watched all of the lectures straight through before beginning my first review of the material. My first review was to reinforce my understanding from the lectures, and I would then work through all of the problems on my own. I would do each module in order.

I would them review the material again, this time for memorization purposes and for further understanding. If I had time, I would quickly go through it again. I also took advantage of the Wiley test bank, and did hundreds of problems there.

I think they have some sort of final review product that you can buy, but I didn't get that (I think it's called cram?).

Depending on how much time you have, and your ability to focus, it's possible to get through all of the exams quickly. I did two during the summer window (July-August), and two during the fall window (October, November). I know people that did all four exams in one window, but they be crazy.
Passed all four sections of the CPA exam in five months during 2012.