12 replies to this topic

#9 Ag12thman

Ag12thman

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Here's how I studied:

I watched the lectures so I would know what to focus on and what to skip. They go through the text, and work dozens of problems and simulations on a whiteboard during the lectures. Of course, there are times that they are reading from the text, but with certain topics that can't really be avoided. They also suggest other MCQs and simulations for you to do.

I watched all of the lectures straight through before beginning my first review of the material. My first review was to reinforce my understanding from the lectures, and I would then work through all of the problems on my own. I would do each module in order.

I would them review the material again, this time for memorization purposes and for further understanding. If I had time, I would quickly go through it again. I also took advantage of the Wiley test bank, and did hundreds of problems there.

I think they have some sort of final review product that you can buy, but I didn't get that (I think it's called cram?).

Depending on how much time you have, and your ability to focus, it's possible to get through all of the exams quickly. I did two during the summer window (July-August), and two during the fall window (October, November). I know people that did all four exams in one window, but they be crazy.

Thanks! So am I understanding correctly that you basically focused on all the lectures rather than the Wiley textbooks? Or do you mean that you watched all the lectures first and then came back and did a review of the material in the Wiley textbooks followed by working all of the problems for each module?

What did you think of the Wiley textbooks and are all the multiple choice questions in these books or is there a separate book that contains them? I have heard that the Wiley texts are difficult to read because the font is small and a lot of words are jammed on each page. Is this true or what is your opinon after using them?

Thanks again!

#10 Venti

Venti

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

Here's how I studied:

I watched the lectures so I would know what to focus on and what to skip. They go through the text, and work dozens of problems and simulations on a whiteboard during the lectures. Of course, there are times that they are reading from the text, but with certain topics that can't really be avoided. They also suggest other MCQs and simulations for you to do.

I watched all of the lectures straight through before beginning my first review of the material. My first review was to reinforce my understanding from the lectures, and I would then work through all of the problems on my own. I would do each module in order.

I would them review the material again, this time for memorization purposes and for further understanding. If I had time, I would quickly go through it again. I also took advantage of the Wiley test bank, and did hundreds of problems there.

I think they have some sort of final review product that you can buy, but I didn't get that (I think it's called cram?).

Depending on how much time you have, and your ability to focus, it's possible to get through all of the exams quickly. I did two during the summer window (July-August), and two during the fall window (October, November). I know people that did all four exams in one window, but they be crazy.

Thanks! So am I understanding correctly that you basically focused on all the lectures rather than the Wiley textbooks? Or do you mean that you watched all the lectures first and then came back and did a review of the material in the Wiley textbooks followed by working all of the problems for each module?

What did you think of the Wiley textbooks and are all the multiple choice questions in these books or is there a separate book that contains them? I have heard that the Wiley texts are difficult to read because the font is small and a lot of words are jammed on each page. Is this true or what is your opinon after using them?

Thanks again!

The lectures use the Wiley textbooks as their outline. They don't have their own textbooks. So, the lectures tell you which pages/paragraphs to study from the textbook because those are the topics that they lecture on.

I liked the Wiley textbooks. I preferred them over the Becker ones (a friend let me look at hers when I was trying to decide which course to use). The MCQs are in the textbook at the end of each module, and there are thousands more MCQs online in their testbank.
Passed all four sections of the CPA exam in five months during 2012.

#11 Ag12thman

Ag12thman

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

The lectures use the Wiley textbooks as their outline. They don't have their own textbooks. So, the lectures tell you which pages/paragraphs to study from the textbook because those are the topics that they lecture on.

I liked the Wiley textbooks. I preferred them over the Becker ones (a friend let me look at hers when I was trying to decide which course to use). The MCQs are in the textbook at the end of each module, and there are thousands more MCQs online in their testbank.

Hey, thanks for the information and answers! Does Yaeger come with the extra Wiley test bank books as well? I could not tell by looking on their website what all was included. I was only concerned about the Wiley books because some people seem to claim that the books are hard to read and the print is too small. Although I guess you don't actually read every page of every books for every section, right? I'm assuming the lectures point you to which parts to read and which to not read, etc. Correct?

I'm still pretty torn between going with Becker or Yaeger. Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

#12 makaylagardner6

makaylagardner6

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

Congratulations! You are now a certified CPA. Goodluck with your new career :)

#13 OnTheRoad2CPA

OnTheRoad2CPA

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

I'm glad to hear you passed using just RogerCPA.  I'm on the same path.  Do you have any insight on passing FAR and AUD?  Specifically, do you think it is possible to pass the exams when you have a track record of being lousy at standardized multiple choice exams and aren't good at memorizing?  I've always been more of an essay and oral or written communication exam person.  I like and value learning concepts and have difficulty with just plain, old memorizing.  Is there any hope?  (Thanks in advance.)