Photo
- - - - -

Switching from governmental to commercial.

CPA switching to big4 big4 governmental national regional firm audit governmental audit

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CuriousCPA

CuriousCPA

• CPAnet Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:16 PM

I am currently an auditor for a large regional firm in it's global public sector, auditing large federal agencies. The work is interesting, however I would like to work for the commercial sector, specifically with one of the Big 4. I currently have completed 1 year and a few months as an associate and have my CPA.

1. Would this be enough to transfer to either of the Big 4's commercial audit practice?

2. Also, even though I have the basic skills and experience of an associate at my level (ability to document, communicate with the client, understanding of GAAP), I am worried employers will only look at my federal experience making the switch to commercial difficult. For those of you who have been part of the Big4 hiring process, would I still have a good chance to switch over to the commercial sector? 

I do not want to wait too long before I make the switch because I am worried I will be pigeonholed into Gov. audits. Please note my firm does have a commercial practice; however, I've decided if I am going to make the switch and begin a career in commercial audits, I wanted to do so with one of the Big 4. Also, I have searched and read many topics regarding governmental vs commercial and the benefits and cons for both. 

Thanks guys!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CPA, switching to big4, big4, governmental, national regional firm, audit, governmental audit